Whether you’re traveling to your local break or heading on an epic 36 hour journey to Indo, you will need a surfboard bag to protect your quiver. There are a lot on the market to cater for all board types and sizes. We highlight a few of the best surfboard bags below.
When you choose a surfboard bag think about the following:
- Get a bag that is slightly longer than your longest board to give some space for cushioning. According to wikiHow, about 6 inches should do it.
- If you’re going to be traveling through airports then get something with wheels. It will make your life a lot easier.
- Some surfboard bags can carry multiple boards (even 3 or 4) so make sure you get a bag that can accommodate the right number of boards without loads of empty space inside.
- Look for a surfboard bag with loads of pockets internally to separate your gear from the board’s surface. You don’t want your leashes, wax, fins and other stuff scratching or putting dings in your board.
- Make sure there’s a decent padded shoulder strap. If you’re carrying it for long periods of time you’ll be grateful for the little bit of extra comfort.
- Look for tie down straps that will help keep your surfboard secure
The Best Surfboard Bags
The FCS Triple Wheelie Shortboard bag has it all. Room for 3 boards, plenty of padding protection, shoulder pad strap, strong zippers and internal pockets. The video below gives a great overview.
- 10mm Dual Density Padding: provides a tough layer of protection against impact.
- Heavy Duty Polyester Skin: heavy duty outer layer for added protection.
- Padded Rail Protection: internal layer of protection along the zipper path helps to prevent rail damage.
- Contoured Coffin Wall: matches surfboard rocker and adds additional strength.
- Ergonomic Shoulder Pad: double layered and vented to provide the ultimate in comfort and support.
- Long-life Marine Zippers: durable, long-life moulded PK Delrin zipper built for strength, durability and resistance to seizing.
- Airflow System: reduces internal heat, removes moisture, and maintains dryer internal compartments.
- Padded Internal Separation Sheet and Strap: separates and secures the boards in the cover.
- Internal Pocket: additional storage for wax, leashes, tie down straps and fins.
- FCS Premium Tie Down Straps: set of FCS Premium straps included to secure your board to roof racks.
- FCS Lite-Runner Day Cover: for the ultimate in convenience, single board cover included.
- Durable Wheels: for added mobility during transit.
Pro-Lite’s Rhino collection of surfboard bags are light, strong and come with various features to keep your boards safe. There are versions for your shortboard, fish / hybrid, longboard and even your SUP.
Check out the video below to see one up close.
- Designed for the surfer traveling with 1-2 Boards
- Collapsible Gusset with Velcro Closure
- 600 Denier Poly and 10mm Foam
- Molded Non-Corrosive Zippers
- Custom Pro-Lite Print Panels
- Large Exterior Wetsuit/Accessory Pocket
- Top Zip Flip Top Opening for ease in sliding board in and out of bag
- Strap Pocket to Stow Strap and Accessories During Travel
- Padded Deluxe Shoulder Strap
- Molded Rubber Handle for Extra Durability
- Inner Storage Pocket
- Reinforced Nose
- External Wax/Key Pocket
- Fixed Size Hang Tag
- Rail Guard around the Zipper to Protect your Board
- Vent to Allow Air Flow to Keep your Board Cool
Creatures of Leisure have been around for 30 years producing surf accessories tested and used by an impressive list of pro surfers. This double surfboard bag ticks some boxes with a comfortable shoulder and hand carry straps, a load of pockets for 3 sets of fins, fin keys, wax, leash and whatever else you need to keep in with your board.
- 10mm thick closed cell padding
- Heat reflective silver inner lining
- Durable and lockable metal zip
- Padded carry handle
- Removable, padded shoulder strap
- 600 Denier polyester fabric
This surfboard bag from Ocean and Earth will hold up to 3 boards and has plenty of padding. The rubber protection around the rails gives you extra confidence that it’s protected from over enthusiastic baggage handlers.
- Protective foam gusset
- EVA side walls
- Zip out tail gusset
- Detachable shoulder strap
- Shoulder strap pocket
- Non corrosive nylon zip
- Internal wax & fin bag
- Removable storage hook
- Fabric: 600D Polyester
- Padding: 10mm Waterproof
- Weight: 3.6 to 4.0kg
- Width: 20″
- Depth: 140mm /5.5″
As surfboard bags go the Timmy Reyes Smuggler from Pro-Lite is pretty cool. Apart from all the usual features (padding, straps, pockets, etc) the bag tries to give you a little bit of help with your airfare fees. As most airlines charge per board, your costs can add up quickly. This bag has a false bottom so you can carry 3 boards but it only looks like there are 2 inside. The video below shows how this works and looks.
- Designed to fit up to 3 boards.
- False bottom. Take 3 boards but only show 2 when they check your bag.
- 600 Denier Poly.
- 10mm AIR-LITE foam.
- Molded #10 PK non-corrosive zippers.
- Large exterior wetsuit/accessory pocket.
- Top Zip flip top opening for ease in sliding your board in and out of the bag.
- Strap pocket to stow strap and accessories during travel.
- Padded deluxe shoulder strap.
- Molded rubber handle for extra durability.
- Inner storage pocket.
- Reinforced nose.
- External wax/key pocket.
- Fixed size hang tag.
- Rail guard around the zipper to protect your board.
- Vent to allow air flow to keep your board cool.
- This bag is cut 24″ wide.
- This bag is cut close to 3″ long to accommodate boards of equal size.
- Empty bag weight 9-11lbs depending on size.